We excavated J-2 yesterday (8/18). The entire nest proved to be infertile. It was a bit odd, but not entirely uncommon.
J-8 proved to be far more exciting. We found 17 hatchlings when we dug into the nest. We came across another one still coming out of its shell, which in itself was quiet an experience! After a quick conversation with Mike, we decided it would be best to cover the nest (with the newest hatchling) back up and finish excavating later. We should have an update on the timing soon, but it will probably be tomorrow evening or Friday.
Until then, we’ll need people to occasionally check on J-8 for any more hatchlings emerging.