Orange Beach H-1 on Sunday Morning
Oct 8th –
After 7-8 days of activity, at 10:30 a simmer began, we finally saw 47 babies simmer up just a little better than a trickle.
LIGHTS especially from Tradewinds were a huge problem. Had to cover the tarp with blankets and towels to keep light out (new tarp). Our tarp and trench was the best yet even after repairing from the high tides, but we still had to use the turtle taxi (bucket) to get them to the water. That turned out to be the easy part. The lights were so bad, the babies were coming back from the water. We combed the beach and found several babies crawling back up the beach. Even walking them out, they would do an about face and swim north!!! SO FRUSTRATING!! Finally saw the last 2 out after moving to a better location. Got in bed about 3:00 am and was not surprised when we got a call this morning about turtles being found on the beach. One was to the east at the gate to the Holiday Inn Express and not sure he will make it. The other was in a hole to the west at Seaside Surf and Racket. They are safe and resting for another attempt at release tonight (Oct 9th)!
An owner from Tradewinds was with us and we asked her to talk to POA about lights. She does not live there full time so I don’t see anything happening but at least she gets it!!!
I will keep asking USFW to consider letting us move our nests to a better location in OB. We are only talking less than 5 miles and if we have to drive them there for release why can’t we put the nests there in the first place!!!
The nest is still active so we will be back tonight (Oct 9th)!! This nest has approx 102 eggs we moved it quickly during a storm so did not get an accurate count. But some of the eggs looked funky so not sure what to expect.
We will excavate Saturday at 6:00 pm.
Thanks so much for everyone coming out to help!! Lance, Norm, Jane, Tina, Mark, Penny, Mary, Jeanetta, Skip, Greg, Jude, Karen, Dale, Glenn,Cathy, Dorothy and Peggy!!!
See y’all on the beach!!
Oct 8th – “Then a Surprise Boil !!!”
Cindy got to the nest early tonight (Oct 8th) about 6:00 to find a nose poking out of the middle of the nest. In about 30 minutes 36 more babies boiled up. Cindy had the situation under control by the time I arrived at 6:45. With help from Penny and Lance we freshened the trench and re-staked at the water since a crowd of at least 70 were eagerly waiting. It was not completely dark so expected better results but the turtles were still disoriented and the turtle taxi was used once again. However a stronger surf helped sweep the babies out with none coming back.
Sorry to report that one little guy found this morning did not make it but the other was eager and swam off with no worries!
Also, talked to another Tradewinds owner that advised me they are trying to use their BP money to make their complex lights turtle friendly!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!
The nest is still active. Thanks Tina and Karen for working a late shift at the nest.
See y’all on the beach!